Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Justice?

My comment today is one of frustration! At times I don't understand the Justice system. A few of my partners and I have been so busy recently taking burglary reports that we decided to dig a little further. Our investigation lead us to a group of teenagers whom we suspected were breaking into homes in the area that we patrol. Well our suspicions were confirmed when we received a tip that the teens we were investigating, were inside a vacant residence. When we arrived all the teens ran out of the back door, we gave chase on foot and caught two of them about 1/2 mile later. Both teens had several charges and I expected our problem with burglaries to cease. Before I could get my report called in (literally 45 minutes later), I received a radio dispatched run telling me to notify one of the teens mother, that I had just locked up, to come to the Juvenile Center and pick her son up. Apparently the counselors at the juvenile facility were unable to reach her by telephone. I did as I was requested, and the teen that I had chased for one half of a mile, through fields, and over fences, was at home enjoying lemonade while I still had 2 hours left on my shift. Oh, did I mention that I ripped my uniform shirt in the process? This wasn't the first time that something like this has happened to me, in fact it happens all the time. What bothered me this time was the fact that so many people in this particular neighborhood helped out with this investigation. My partners and I invested a lot of time both department time and personal time. Actually that tip we received came to an off duty officer, from a resident in the area, to his personal cell phone. Who says that officers aren't dedicated? Until next time, Later!

No comments: